It’s that time of year again, and we just couldn’t be more excited! For those of us skydivers that have spent the winter months with our gear lovingly packed away in gear bags waiting patiently for the dawning of our favorite time, the wait has finally come to an end. And for all of you looking to make your summer memorable with your very first skydive, now is the time!
Along with the season opener and that ever so tasty first load, there are more than a few things that need to be sorted out for experienced jumpers to kick the seasons off properly, and for those first-time jumpers or anxious AFF students, there are lots of things to think about before the beginning of a truly amazing journey. So here are a few tips and things to keep in mind as we get into the 2023 season at CSC.
For the experienced:
As those beautiful rigs are brought out to see the sun, it’s time once again to call your friendly neighborhood licensed rigger to sort you out. You’ll be looking to make sure:
- Your container, main and reserve canopies are all thoroughly inspected, paying particular attention to ensure that your baby didn’t accidentally get exposed to moisture, pets, or creepy critters that could have done any damage while stored.
- Your AAD is in good condition, working properly, and within its service window. If you’re jumping a Vigil, that means ensuring that it performs all necessary internal checks on start-up and that any errors are dealt with. The same goes If you’re jumping a CYPRES, but you also have the option of performing preventative maintenance at the 4-year and 8-year mark during its 12.5-year lifespan.
- Get that fresh new seal on your reserve pin and signature on your packing data card to keep the manifest happy with you from day 1.
- Check to see the availability of instructors or coaches if you’re going to be needing a recurrency jump.
- Remember to wash that jumpsuit after the last load last season! You wouldn’t be the first skydiver in history to pull their jumpsuit out and gag!
For everyone new to skydiving:
- BOOK YOUR TANDEM JUMP! Although the beginning of the season still has a chill in the air, taking that first leap sooner means that when you’re completely hooked you’ve got the entire season ahead of you to enjoy! If you’re a first-time tandem student you may be thinking “I’m only going to do this one jump to cross it off the list, so I’ll wait till it’s warmer”, let us tell you, that’s exactly what we all thought! The truth is, making that first jump earlier in the season means less time waiting around and more time enjoying the experience. As the days grow longer so do the lines to jump, because everyone is coming out to play.
- For AFF students, get yourself signed up for your first jump course at our Freefall University to ensure you’ve got a slot. You’ll need to put aside one day for the ground training, and preferably the next day to make that jump while everything is super fresh. If you’re a returning AFF student that wasn’t able to complete training before the end of last season, make sure to find out exactly what you’ll need to do to get back in the saddle. Is your favorite instructor available? Do you need to go through ground training again as a refresher?
And for everyone, this is a great time to take a look at upcoming special events, boogies, charities, camps, load organizers, and more for the season! Even if you’re getting ready to make that first jump, there are a whole slew of events at CSC that we would love to have you attend. Coming out to observe some of the fun we have is a great way not only to get a fantastic preview of the world you’re about to jump into but meet some of the wonderful people you’ll be coming out to play with.
BRING ON THE 2023 SEASON!